Starting up the server

Starting up the server javelin Mon, 2012-02-13 20:10

Questions about getting the server started (after you've compiled it).

My MUSH dies on startup, logs mutter something like 'Illegal compression code length'

My MUSH dies on startup, logs mutter something like 'Illegal compression code length' javelin Mon, 2012-02-13 19:51

My MUSH dies on startup, logs mutter something like 'Illegal compression code length'

This is a known issue with the Huffman compression, but it's nontrivial to fix. It happens in somewhat rare occasions, and only seems to affect MUSHes running on Linux.
While fixing the compression code itself isn't easy, fixing the problem is not too hard: Change compression types.
In the pennmush dir, open options.h in the editor, and find the line that goes '#define COMPRESSION_TYPE'. On that line, change the 1 to something else. Detailed descriptions are above it in the file, but in a pinch, you might want to set it to 4, and if that fails to 0. If it still doesn't work then something else is amiss.
After you've changed options.h, save it, and do a make install. After that, hopefully your MUSH will run again.

2003-Nov-12 9:46am aiviru

My mush doesn't start up and there's an error in the log file like sh: uncompress: command not found'

My mush doesn't start up and there's an error in the log file like sh: uncompress: command not found' javelin Mon, 2012-02-13 20:02

Some Linux distributions (Notably the last few releases of Redhat, and apparently Debian as well) don't include the compress and uncompress programs that Penn uses by default for compressing the database file. You can install the proper package (Probably called something like 'compress' or 'ncompress'), or just change the mush config file to use another compression programs like gzip.

2003-Apr-29 8:04pm shawnw

When I restart, I see weird 'b.found outdb' and similar messages

When I restart, I see weird 'b.found outdb' and similar messages javelin Mon, 2012-02-13 19:48

When I restart, I see weird 'b.found outdb' and similar messages

This happens on linux systems when mush.cnf has been edited in a DOS/Windows
editor and contains dos-style line breaks (CRLF) rather than unix line breaks
(LF alone).
Edit mush.cnf in an editor that'll show you if you have dos linebreaks
(I use vim -b or vi -b) and remove them, using one of the procedures for
converting dos databases to linux databases.

2001-Oct-16 5:36pm dunemush